Year 7 Enhancement Program
If your child is a high achiever or gifted learner then our enhancement program will provide them greater opportunity for higher education.Enhancement & Scholarship brochure 2017 (285.89 kB)
To provide an enhanced program for academically capable students looking to further develop their literacy, numeracy and thinking skills starting in Year 7 and progressing through to Year 9. It will equip them with the skills and knowledge to achieve high academic results in the later years of their schooling.
This enhancement program is designed to deliver the Year 7 curriculum in greater detail.
Through school based and community challenges, students will have the opportunity to develop leadership skills.
To provide skills and knowledge for early access into VCE.
This program is designed to:
• Provide challenging learning tasks which will extend students above the year 7 level in the core subjects of English, Maths, Science, Humanities and Languages.
• Develop high level literacy and numeracy skills with an emphasis on analytical thinking and problem solving.
• Allow a greater capacity for self directed learning and individualised learning plans.
• After completing Year 9 students move into the Year 10 elective program combined with VCE Unit 1 and 2 subjects.
Year 6 students are required to complete a selection test in March and will be notified of their eligibility for interview before the end of Term 1.
Interviews will take place early in Term 2 to assist in the final selection process.
Students in this program will be chosen based on:
1. Strong academic achievement based performance to benchmark standards in the selection test.
2. Grade 5 NAPLAN data
3. Personal interview
In addition, students should be able to demonstrate they are:
• Well organised
• Self motivated and capable of working independently
• Good communicators
• Able to work cooperatively with others.
Students in this program would be expected to participate in a variety of extra-curricular opportunities ranging from:
• Literary events and author visits
• Numeracy workshops and presentations
• Information, Communication and Technology workshops
• Art demonstrations
• Presentations by community leaders
Community and performance opportunities
• Instrumental music
• School production
• Oberon High School Environment and Sustainability Group
• Inter-school sport
• Compass Award program (run by Awards Victoria)
• Leadership opportunities and community service
• Australian science competition
• Regional and state writing competitions
• Public speaking, debating or chess competitions
• Regional spelling bee competitions
• Arts competitions
• Westpac Maths competition